Dr. Rances is a board certified anesthesiologist and a fellowship trained pain management specialist. Prior to his medical training, Dr. Rances practiced acupuncture and oriental medicine for several years. He is one of only a handful of pain physicians who received formal training in both Traditional Chinese and Osteopathic Medicine. His unique background allows him to apply the latest advancements in interventional techniques alongside more holistic concepts such as acupuncture and osteopathic principles – a truly integrative approach in the treatment of pain.
Dr. Rances believes in incorporating a multi-modal approach in the management of acute and chronic pain. This may include interventional procedures, pharmacotherapy, lifestyle modification, acupuncture and physical therapy. His goal is to improve the quality of life of his patients using proven and evidenced based medicine.
Dr. Rances is a board certified Diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology with additional qualifications in Pain Medicine. In addition, he a licensed acupuncturist in the state of New York and has been previously accredited by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine as a Diplomate in acupuncture. He is a current and active member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians and the New York State Society of Anesthesiologists.
Dr. Rances keeps up to date with the latest advances in the specialty of pain medicine by regularly attending national seminars and conferences. Prior to joining Hudson Spine and Pain Medicine, he provided care as an attending physician at CarePoint Health System – practicing as an anesthesiologist and pain medicine specialist at Christ Hospital and Hoboken University Medical Center.
In his free time, Dr. Rances enjoys traveling and spending time with his three young daughters and wife.
- Undergraduate Education: Binghamton University, B.S. in Psychobiology
- Graduate Education: New York College of Health Professions, M.S. in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
- Medical School: New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, D.O. – Graduated with Honors
- Internship: Christ Hospital/UMDNJ, Department of Family Medicine
- Residency: SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Department of Anesthesiology – Chief Resident
- Fellowship: NYU Langone Medical Center, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management
- North Shore LIJ
- Hoboken University Medical Center